This forums contains threads of various tournaments, competitions, and rankings in populous.

Moderators : Kiyana, [AsG]Apnea, [AsG]Keith52

By Suleiman
Populous's tenth anniversary is coming up fast. Real fast. If you don't know already, Populous will officially be ten years old on November 30, 2008. I figured we could celebrate the end of the first decade of Populous with a tournament.

There will be more to come of this post, as I am currently constructing a completely Populous-themed site to go along with the tournament, but here is the general information (which is liable to change) as of August 6, 2008:

General
Celebrate Populous's tenth anniversary with the tournament of all tournaments! Everyone is welcome [and encouraged] to join.

Guidelines
There aren't many rules to the tournament; it's Populous. However, there are some guidelines and restrictions. They go as follows:
  • Anyone can join. I'm not going to limit this tournament to clans, and anyone from the player with the most experience to the newest Populous player can join.
    There will be 64 slots available for this tournament. If all 64 slots are filled and you still want to join, you're screwed. :? If not all 64 slots are filled and the number is even, everything is fine. If the number is odd, one person may have to volunteer to leave the tournament. If nobody volunteers, I'll play.
    Important Info -- If you want to join, you can do so by letting me know in this thread or sending me an email at PopulousTenYearTourny@gmail.com
  • The tournament will make use of a bracket system. Players will be paired with other players at random and will play a 1 vs. 1 with one host and one watcher (who both must remain stationary during the entire game). The winner will go onto the next round, and so on and so forth.
    Both players are expected to set up a time to play their game. If one player does not wish to play against the other player, this counts as a forfeit. If neither player wishes to play against the other, both players will be eliminated. End of.
  • The map and restrictions are up to the two players playing the match. Set restrictions would be unfair, to be honest, and most people would just ignore restrictions they don't like, anyway. If two players cannot agree on a map or restrictions, a map and/or restrictions will be set for the players. You may only choose from The Beginning map pack or A Narrow Passage in the Fate Worlds map pack.
  • The tournament will begin on November 30, 2008 and not a day later.
If anybody has anything they think I should add or remove (and check often, I will be adding and removing things), please speak up.

So... Why?
So why did I decide to start this tournament? Well, Populous is an old game, and I'm an old player. I've been playing since about 2000 and I've been a community member since about 2002 or 2003. I feel that this game's come a long way, and to be honest, I'm surprised it's lasted this long. My personal opinion is that Populous won't last another ten years, so I wanted to do something "special" for the first ten.

I'm also celebrating (myself) that I'm slowly, painfully slowly, coming back to Populous (even with college, hopefully).

Final Words
I really do hope this tournament goes well, and I hope you all enjoy it. If you think you've got what it takes to be the best and win, join.

The Dakini Hut will, of course, be sponsoring, supporting, and hosting this tournament. www.thedakinihut.com -- all your Populous (and Dakini) needs.

There is a strong possibility I'm smelling a prize for the winner. More to come.

If you've got any questions, send an email to PopulousTenYearTourny@gmail.com (that's real, so seriously, send an email there).

Current Players in Tournament [16]
keemo_DT
Kryuell
[AU]yoyoyo
SuBuRbanKniGhT_DT
[AsG]daroo
Keith52_DT
[TDM]Saved
Macca424_Ire_
[GoD]Captain
CalmMind_DT
[GoD]Sponge
[TDM]Orange_Warrior
BlackHawk
UltimO
[GoD]BlackRider
[GoD]Kontera

If I'm forgetting anyone, let me know!

-----
Applications on hold until further notice. Sorry...
Last edited by Suleiman on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
By [AvA]Med
Good idea, but 64 is ALOT of people, unless i get a noob lineup! :D

Edit : Considering we get 64 becuase not more than 60 are active really?
By [TDM]Black_Hawk
Well, we wil need al players to jion then.
By Retro
Suleiman, after the World Championship Event please. It begins after the Royal Widows Spyder Cup ended.
By [Rw]keemo
Count me in
By Kryuell
[GoD]Sponge wrote:Good idea, but 64 is ALOT of people, unless i get a noob lineup! :D

Edit : Considering we get 64 becuase not more than 60 are active really?
He said if there is an even number of people that is OK. I am entering so if one volunteer is needed to leave, I will be it 100%. (I dont like always playing for competetiveness, so it will be for fun me joining, so I wont mind leaving if it comes to it)
By yoyoyo
can i join?
By KicK
I'll join :)
By [AsG]daroo
[GoD]Sponge wrote:Edit : Considering we get 64 becuase not more than 60 are active really?
10 years of populous is a big event so tourney have to be also big :)
Suleiman_DT wrote:I feel that this game's come a long way, and to be honest, I'm surprised it's lasted this long. My personal opinion is that Populous won't last another ten years
What an enthusiasm :biggrin: i'm sure populous will be alive for longer then 10 years 8)
i'm sure i will play this tourney :D
By Suleiman
Yes, I know 64 is a large number, but like daroo already mentioned, it's a big event.

I've updated the first post with the names of the people that have said they want to join.

Oh, and thanks for the email address, CalmMind.
UltimO wrote:Suleiman, after the World Championship Event please. It begins after the Royal Widows Spyder Cup ended.
Well, this one begins November 30. That shouldn't interfere with the World Championship Event, right?
Last edited by Suleiman on Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
By [Rw]Macca
count me in sulei, and ty for the skin. its quite sexy :L :D
By [GoD]Captain
I am in :)
By Retro
[TDM]Saved wrote:
[Rw]UltimO wrote:Suleiman, after the World Championship Event please. It begins after the Royal Widows Spyder Cup ended.

I think the fact that this is a 10 year event, and comes but once every 10 years, this should get priority.
agree. okay i have time. a little world championship wth 2853 nations cant race wth a 10 year tournament.
Suleiman_DT wrote:Yes, I know 64 is a large number, but like daroo already mentioned, it's a big event.

I've updated the first post with the names of the people that have said they want to join.

Oh, and thanks for the email address, CalmMind.
UltimO wrote:Suleiman, after the World Championship Event please. It begins after the Royal Widows Spyder Cup ended.
Well, this one begins November 30. That shouldn't interfere with the World Championship Event, right?
yes, right Suleiman :)
Last edited by Retro on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Guest
I am in
By Retro
i forget we start on 30.sept. only 1 nation need to apply himself.
By Kryuell
Macca424_Ire_ wrote:count me in sulei, and ty for the skin. its quite sexy :L :D

It is :P

I mean... in a heterosexual way... heh... :oops:
By [Rw]Macca
Kruyell wrote:

Dont lie, you mean it in the homosexual way :D;)
By Kryuell
Macca424_Ire_ wrote:
Kruyell wrote:

Dont lie, you mean it in the homosexual way :D;)
I love you in a homosexual way. 8-)
By Urbz
Yay celebrating the thousands of arguments and abuse!